Thursday, December 26, 2013

Well, Merry Christmas, Everyone

Another Christmas has wrapped up.  I've been on and off with the enthusiasm this holiday season.  The weather makes such a difference to me - and it has been too very cold for nearly all of December.

BUT, yesterday we had a break.  It was -4C.  It was even sunny!  I went off on my now-traditional drive around the countryside, looking for birds and generally enjoying whatever I find.

Some scenes captured along the way:

Many Canada Geese in residence at Boundary Dam.  Half of the reservoir is ice-free all winter.  This is at a warm water bay.  (The reservoir is used as cooling water for the electricity-generating turbines at the power plant)

 
There isn't a great lot of snow around, compared to places north of here.  Fingers crossed it stays like this.


My favourite little farm with the beautiful Percheron horses.  Had only a minute or so to snap a quick photo as the farm dog, a large golden lab, was racing my way to check out why a vehicle was stopped at his farm.  Generally, I try not to stop near farm building as it really is a bit disconcerting for the people living there.  I just had to get a shot of this colourful scene, though.


A Snowy Owl (Bubo scandiacus), one of four seen during the drive.  There is a Snowy Owl irruption down into the Eastern US this year.  We always have a few of these wonderful birds visiting during the winters. Fuzzy photo - he was quite a distance away, but I had to try for a shot.


I hope everyone had a pleasant Christmas.

4 comments:

  1. Gorgeous winter scenes. The irruption is touch Minnesota as well. I have my hopes up! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mr. T. . I hope some snowies come your way.

      Delete
  2. I hope you had a wonderful Christmas too Kathy! I love Percherons and the Snowy Owl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Charlotte. Have a great year to come.

      Delete