Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Pied-billed Grebe Chicks

Well, I'm finally back to blogging.  Some of my problems were self-induced as I forgot to...when I....and then there was...oh nevermind. 

On to the subject of this post.  Pied-billed Grebe (Podilymbus podiceps) chicks (grebelets?)  These grebes are all over the place.  Anyone, at least in North America, who has visited a reasonably quiet body of water has seen these funny little diving birds - or more likely, have seen the concentric rings on the water surface where the bird was a second before.  They dive, but they also manage to just sink of out sight.

Perhaps, though, not everyone has seen the chicks. 



Here are two, following a parent around and begging for food. They are probably about 10 days old, almost as big as the parent.


I don't know what the adult is doing here.  S/he partially raised and fluttered the wings, while making a series of whistles and peeps. 




Probably warning me off.  The little ones didn't seem agitated nor did any of them dive at that point. 


Click on the pix for larger & clearer, if you want to.

2 comments: