Monday, April 23, 2012

White-tailed Deer

A birding drive yesterday produced a lot of new birds - shorebirds are starting to show up.  I found some Semipalmated Sandpipers, Lesser Yellowlegs and a good number of Marbled Godwit pairs.  I don't have a good photo of any.  

On days such as yesterday, I'm pretty much birder-only, remembering to grab the camera only after I've gazed long through the binoculars or scope.

Several White-tailed Deer (Odocoileus virginianus) were grazing near sloughs in the early morning.  I managed to capture one with tail-flag waving.



These American Coots (Fulica americana) were intent on their mating rituals.  A lot of preening and stamping of the reed platform by the male.  Coots are amazingly interesting to watch.  


American Avocets (Recurvirostra americana) have been arriving in the area the past week, which was really cold, rainy and windy.  I expect by tomorrow (after two days of very warm, sunny weather) the shorelines will be much alive with these elegant creatures.





 

No comments:

Post a Comment