Sunday, March 31, 2013

Another Souris River Report

I'm starting to get Spring Fever.  The days are getting longer, the sun is higher in the sky and even if the air isn't particularly warm, the snow melts a little bit each day.  That said, there's still a solid 2-3 feet of the stuff all over my back yard.

So, this morning I grabbed my binoculars and camera and went for another drive, hoping to find some birds.  No birds, so I went out to Rafferty to see how the water release is going.


There has been some melting in the past couple of days; also an increase in the flow out of Rafferty. 

 
This is the Souris River south of Estevan along #18.  The water has breached the banks in low areas here too.  Nothing serious.

 
Ah, there are some birds.  Canada Geese and Mallards near the bank.  The goose in the middle of the stream is a Cackling Goose (Branta hutchinsii)

 
At the Woodlawn Park bridge on #47

 
This is the low bridge at Vaugn's Crossing (east side of Woodlawn).  The water is pretty close to the bottom of the bridge.


Hopefully, this early release of water from Rafferty will prevent serious flooding as the Spring melt gets underway.  Surely this stuff WILL melt!



4 comments:

  1. Wow, there's some serious water! I find high water levels like that so unnerving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too. I used to think it would be lovely to have a place along a river....I haven't thought that way at all since the flooding in 2011.

      Delete
  2. Our big melt started yesterday. Huge ice block were stranded ashore in a local park even crushing some picnic tables, swings, etc in the picnic area.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Uh-Oh...I hope there won't be too much damage.

      Delete