Monday, May 16, 2011

White-tailed Jackrabbit

Lepus townsendii, just recently changed from the all-white winter coat to the fashionably neutral sandstone brown summer wear.


Leave me alone, please just leave me alone.


All right, I shall share bit of info if you promise to go away:  My ears are rather huge.  It's hot around here in the summer.  The large ears help to dissipate heat.  They also help me to hear very well.  Good thing, too, as pretty well everything wants to make a meal of me: coyotes, fox, cougars, bobcats, eagles, owls, hawks, you name it.  (Hey Mr/Mrs Jackrabbit - stay alert, there's a Great Horned Owl on a nest a half-mile away - with 2-3 hungry owlets to feed)


Large hind legs and feet  = running at speeds of about 50 kph/30 mph and jump 5 meters in the air to escape a predator.  Can you do that?  No, I didn't think so.  


Excuse me while I nibble at some fresh green stuff before I go to sleep for the day.   I am mostly noctural. 


Go Away


Information from:   Gosline, A. 2001. "Lepus townsendii" (On-line), Animal Diversity Web. Accessed May 08, 2011
 http://animaldiversity.ummz.umich.edu/site/accounts/information/Lepus_townsendii.html

1 comment:

  1. Always hunted these in high school, then sold them to the mink farm in Weyburn for $1.00/each. Doesn't sound like a lot, but that was when beer was $3/doz and I could fill the gas tank for $5.

    ReplyDelete