Monday, October 11, 2010

Some BC Birds

I got in a bit of birding during my recent road trip to Vancouver and Quadra Islands.  I managed to snap a few semi-decent photos which I'll drop in here.  (Click on red highlighted names to go to the wiki link for info about these birds)

Sooty Fox Sparrow  Passerella iliaca unalaschcensis
The Fox Sparrow, all subspecies, has been a nemesis bird for me - until this trip to BC.  I got my Life Sighting at Rathtrevor Beach.   This bird was being incredibly coy and staying in the leafy shadows.


Here's another one a week or so later at Island View Beach. The Sooty version is slightly different colouration than the Fox Sparrows usually found (by everyone else) in the Prairies. 


Harlequin Duck  Histrionicus histrionicus
There were big rafts of these close to shore at Quadra.  Not a Lifer for me, but definitely the best looks at the striking male plumage.


Golden-crowned Sparrow  Zonotrichia atricapilla
Lifer at Island View Beach on Vancouver Island

 
A 1st Winter Golden-crowned Sparrow
  

White-winged Scoter  Melanitta deglandi
This surprised me by being a Lifer.  I was sure I had seen these before, but not on my Life List, so yeah!  This flock was at the protected cove at Rebecca Spit, Quadra Island.  Surf Scoters (Melanitta perspicillata) were in big flocks most places


Here's a Great Blue Heron  (Ardea herodias)  in flight.  Love the wing position in this photo


 Black Turnstone  Arenaria melanocephala
This is also a Lifer.  I had a lovely morning walking the beach at Qualicum.  A flock of about 18 turnstones were scrambling around a rocky area at the water's edge while the tide was out.


Glaucous-winged Gull  Larus glaucescens
If there is a seawall, there will be a Glaucous-winged gull
sitting standing on it, especially if there's a chance for a bit of food hand-out.  This particular bird was just below my room at the Sand Pebbles Inn at Qualicum Beach.



Also:

Pacific-slope Flycatcher - Lifer  
Hutton's Vireo - not Lifer but first sighting in Canada

Non-Lifers, but great to see

Chestnut-backed Chickadees - everywhere
California Quail - Kelowna
Pelagic Cormorants -
Turkey Vultures - lots of them, and everywhere I went.  Hmmmm
Bald Eagles
Osprey
Anna's Hummingbird - I think.  I got buzzed at Rathtrevor Beach and only caught a glimpse
Red-breasted Sapsucker
Northwestern Crows
Spotted Towhee - everywhere on the coast
Winter Wren - Quadra
Bewick's Wren - many of these on Quadra
Clark's Nutcracker - way back in the Crow's Nest Pass
Pileated Woodpecker - Quadra and Rathtrevor Beach
Golden-crowned Kinglets - Rathtrevor Beach
Stellar's Jays - Quadra
Yellow-rumped Warblers (Audubon's) - all over my friend's yard in Kelowna
House Finches
Dark-eyed Juncos

Other commonly found birds that I'm too lazy to list




No comments:

Post a Comment