Sunday, November 21, 2010

A Cattle Drive

A couple Sundays ago, I went for an early morning birding drive.  It was a day just like the one currently unfolding except it was 25 degrees C warmer, with a tad less snow, so I didn't have to shovel out the driveway before I left. 

Uh-oh.  Cattle Drive. 


I wanted to be on the road they were headed.  Hmmm,


A couple hundred cows and their calves ambling along could take a while


So turned around and found a hen Ring-necked Pheasant (Phasianus colchicus) high-tailin' it across the stubble


And shortly after, a group of males flushed from the ditch.  I wasn't ready for an action shot, but here it is anyway.


My mission this winter is to get some decent Ring-necked Pheasant photos.  They are crafty birds.

2 comments:

  1. Good start on your pheasant pix K. Looking forward to more views of these elegant birds. I can remember helping the local Fish&Game release stock along Long Creek in about 1960.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Brian. There's a lot of pheasant all along Long Creek. The Durrs over near Bromhead make a point of feeding them during the winter, as do many others around this area. I'm interested to see if the numbers have dropped due to all the rain and soggy ground during this past breeding season.

    ReplyDelete