Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Pine Siskins

 Pine Siskins  Carduelis pinus


As you can see, we got some snow - not much, and the sun is trying to shine through the clouds.  C'mon, Sun!   Freezing rain overnight is likely making things pretty exciting out on the roads.  However, I don't have anywhere I need to be, so I'm sitting here in my sun room watching the Pine Siskins. 

This is another boreal nester that comes South for the Winter.  These little birds especially love thistle (niger) seeds.



2 comments:

  1. Not being a bird I confuse most birds of this size/color as being sparrows, so it's nice to get educationed about different species.

    Sorry about the snow, looks like we missed this storm. But I need to put gas in my snow blower and move it from the shed to the garage to be ready.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mission in life: turn every single person I know into a birder! Grin.

    ReplyDelete