Friday, February 4, 2011

Georgetown

Marilynn, Martin & I were met at the Cheddi Jagen Int'l airport, which is some 30 miles inland.

This is a random house along with way.  Most were not this large and prosperous.


Cara Lodge, our residence for the next couple of nights, as some of you know from reading a previous post here.


It is a rather grand old building. 


The lobby and inner courtyard, with my little piece of luggage waiting to be taken to my room. 


There was a Pale-breasted Thrush (Turdus leucomelas) singing its pretty song in this tree.  Also a pair of Great Kiskadees (Pitangus sulphuratus) shrieking away. 


My room was the second door from the left.  Note the classic Georgetown louvered window to the left of the balcony. 


Prior to meeting M & M, I really hadn't given much thought to walking around Georgetown the day we arrived.  They, however, were setting off after lunch.  Mention was made of their trying to find a bookstore.  Since bookstores are my favourite indoor places in all the earth, I immediately invited myself along.

We found this maritime memorial park.  There were birds.  We had binoculars and cameras.  A security guard offered to let us in.  We quickly accepted.  It is a very pretty place in an otherwise fairly ramschackle part of the old city.   


The big white building behind is a high school. 


Ruddy Ground-Doves  (Columbina talpacoti)


Other birds:  Shiny Cowbirds, Blue-black Grassquits, a euphonia and a few other small birds that I don't think we identified.  Previous to finding this park, we saw a Burnished-buff Tanager (Tangara cayana), a Lifer for me, perched on a power line.

Many butterflies in this park, too.

Up next:  St. George's Cathedral....

No comments:

Post a Comment